Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Lost rows/data corruption?

Yes, we compile our own kernel based on the "stardardised" stable release available at the time. Everything we need is compiled in. This is what I mean by standard Linus approved kernel release (as opposed to an AC/MM modified release etc.)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Keith C. Perry" <netadmin@xxxxxxxx>
To: "Andrew Hall" <temp02@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Alban Hertroys" <alban@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Marco Colombo" <pgsql@xxxxxxxxxx>; <pgsql-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2005 6:02 AM
Subject: Re: Lost rows/data corruption?

Quoting Andrew Hall <temp02@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Do you happen to have the same type disks in all these systems? That > could

> point to a disk cache "problem" (f.e. the disks lying about having > written

> data from the cache to disk).
>
> Or do you use the same disk parameters on all these machines? Have you
> tried using the disks w/o write caching and/or in synchronous mode
> (contrary to "async").

It's all pretty common stuff, quite a few customers use standard IDE
(various flavours of controller/disk), some now use SATA (again various
brands) and the rest use SCSI. The kernel we use is the standard Linus
approved kernel with the inbuilt drivers as part of the kernel. We don't
supply any non-default parameters to the disk controllers.

Thanks for your suggestion on write caching, I'll look into this, I'm also
tempted to try a different journalling FS too.

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

I'm a little late on this thread but in regards to the SATA support. 2.4.29 in
my experience is really the first kernel that decent SATA support (i.e. much
better data throughput). I think that would corresponse to 2.6.9 or .10 but
even before you get into all that. I am curious to know what do you mean by
"standard Linus kernel". Do you not compile your own kernels for the hardware
platform being used?

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications