Search Postgresql Archives

Re: postgresql 8.0 advantages

On Feb 25, 2005, at 9:41 AM, Si Chen wrote:

Hello.

I read the PostgreSQL 8.0 "What's New" page (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/whatsnew) and wasn't sure whether version 8.0 is significantly faster, more scalability, or more stable than versions 7.4? I remember big speed improvements between 7.3 and 7.4. It seems the biggest advantage of version 8.0 is being able to run in Windows.
Is that true?

I like programming in perl and the new pl/perl adds a totally new dimension to databasing. For example, the dbi-link (http://pgfoundry.org/projects/dbi-link/) project allows you to create a schema within your database that mirrors another data source (any data sources available via perl DBI). You could have an XML file served from the web as a set of tables in one schema, a mysql database as a second schema, and a set of csv files in a directory as a third schema, all with views within Postgres that allow query, update, delete, etc. Other projects such as this are likely to spring up, I would imagine. Performance characteristics aside (which I will leave to others to comment about), I have found the pl/perl improvements well worth the switch.

Sean

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq