Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL scaleability question

Christopher Browne wrote:

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when mary.y.wang@xxxxxxxxxx ("Wang, Mary Y") would write:

I have been using PostgreSQL for my project repository, because it
is free and easy to use.  My manager is trying to decide if he
should use a commerical database such as Oracle or PostgreSQL for a
gaint information repository for the corporate.  He asked me what is
the scaleability on PostgreSQL.  I don't have the answer.  So far, I
have been very pleased with PostgreSQL, but I'm only using it for my
project.

Does anyone have any information on this? Has anyone done any
comparsions?

It is very difficult to evaluate such things absent of actually doing simulations of the kind of load you intend to put on your systems.

That said, there are lots of people running extremely large data repositories with PostgreSQL, if you search the archives you can probably find some examples.

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster