Search Postgresql Archives

Re: vacuum confusion

Thanks Tom, I figured it out after I saw the error message when trying to vacuum template0.

I think the 7.4.x docs could do with a more explanation.

The 8.0 docs are better although a more explicit explanation stating that you MUST vacuum analyze template1 (periodically) would be useful.

Thanks

John Sidney-Woollett

Tom Lane wrote:

John Sidney-Woollett <johnsw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

However the implication (and my confusion) is that you need to vacuum your own databases only. It's not clear (to me) that you have to do the same for template0 and template1 as well.

You have to vacuum template1, but not template0 because the latter is
marked not datallowconn.  Not sure if this is adequately explained
anywhere.  The next-to-last para in section 21.1.3 does mention the
datallowconn exception, but perhaps doesn't spell it out well enough.

regards, tom lane

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not match