Search Postgresql Archives

Re: More concurent transaction over single connection

NTPT wrote:
AFAIK (7.4.x) there is one limitation in persistant connections to postgresql from various frontends ( http://cz.php.net/manual/en/features.persistent-connections.php ), because it can not use transactions in situation where more concurent tasks use a single connection (execuse my wrong english)

I suggest to add some sort of "context" identificator to frontend/backend protocol to overcome this limit. Ie frontend - ( like PHP for example ) make ONE persistant connection and different scripts are served over this connection. But frontend add for each instance of script a unique "context" identificator and postgresql server will treat different "contexts" as they was send by different connections. The results wil be sorted by "context" by frontend and feeded to apprpriate instance of the php script

You've just reinvented connections. The problem is at the application end really, since PHP doesn't provide a middle-ware layer to manage this sort of stuff. Typically, java-based application servers manage this sort of thing for you.

I think it may add some benefit to avoiding connection starting costs, especially in case where database and client are in greater network distance and/or need to use some expensive procedure to start connection and allow a relay simple and transparent connection pooling, may be a some type od "spare servers" like in Apache (MinSpareServers and Max SpareServers configuration directive )

Perhaps take a look at pgpool connection pooling.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster