Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Fwd: Postgres attach partition: AccessExclusive lock set on different tables depending on how attaching is performed

On 10/21/24 1:40 AM, user wrote:
** forwarding to mailing list, forgot to add header

Thanks for answering.
I think one misunderstanding happened.
The parent table has the foreign key constraint.
So attach partition will add this constraint for table being attached. (How this compares to foreign keys not being considered, not sure).

Why is it that attach_partition does not require exclusive lock when creating a constraint automatically?

What is more, you have provided a quote that states the lock is needed because the table needs to be checked that all entries comply with the NEW constraint.

Well it is not new when I manually create it before I attach.
It is new when I run attach command without previous manual constraint creation, but then the lock is not created.

1) Case 1

test=# \d films
                Partitioned table "public.films"
 Column |         Type          | Collation | Nullable | Default
--------+-----------------------+-----------+----------+---------
 id     | integer               |           |          |
 code   | character(5)          |           |          |
 title  | character varying(40) |           | not null |
 did    | integer               |           | not null |
Partition key: LIST (code)
Foreign-key constraints:
    "films_did_fkey" FOREIGN KEY (did) REFERENCES refs(id)
Number of partitions: 0

create table films_partition (LIKE films INCLUDING ALL);
CREATE TABLE

test=# \d+ films_partition
                                            Table "public.films_partition"
Column | Type | Collation | Nullable | Default | Storage | Compression | Stats target | Description
--------+-----------------------+-----------+----------+---------+----------+-------------+--------------+-------------
id | integer | | | | plain | | | code | character(5) | | | | extended | | | title | character varying(40) | | not null | | extended | | | did | integer | | not null | | plain | | |
Access method: heap

ALTER TABLE films ATTACH PARTITION films_partition for values in ('dr');
ALTER TABLE

test=# \d+ films
                                           Partitioned table "public.films"
Column | Type | Collation | Nullable | Default | Storage | Compression | Stats target | Description
--------+-----------------------+-----------+----------+---------+----------+-------------+--------------+-------------
id | integer | | | | plain | | | code | character(5) | | | | extended | | | title | character varying(40) | | not null | | extended | | | did | integer | | not null | | plain | | |
Partition key: LIST (code)
Foreign-key constraints:
    "films_did_fkey" FOREIGN KEY (did) REFERENCES refs(id)
Partitions: films_partition FOR VALUES IN ('dr   ')

test=# \d+ films_partition
                                            Table "public.films_partition"
Column | Type | Collation | Nullable | Default | Storage | Compression | Stats target | Description
--------+-----------------------+-----------+----------+---------+----------+-------------+--------------+-------------
id | integer | | | | plain | | | code | character(5) | | | | extended | | | title | character varying(40) | | not null | | extended | | | did | integer | | not null | | plain | | |
Partition of: films FOR VALUES IN ('dr   ')
Partition constraint: ((code IS NOT NULL) AND (code = 'dr '::character(5)))
Check constraints:
    "check_code" CHECK (code = 'dr'::bpchar)
Foreign-key constraints:
TABLE "films" CONSTRAINT "films_did_fkey" FOREIGN KEY (did) REFERENCES refs(id)
Access method: heap

2) Case 2

create table films_partition (LIKE films INCLUDING ALL);

insert into films_partition values (1, 'dr', 'musician',5);

alter table films_partition add constraint check_code check (code = 'dr');

alter table films_partition ADD CONSTRAINT fk_did FOREIGN KEY (did)
REFERENCES refs (id);

test=# \d films_partition
                 Table "public.films_partition"
 Column |         Type          | Collation | Nullable | Default
--------+-----------------------+-----------+----------+---------
 id     | integer               |           |          |
 code   | character(5)          |           |          |
 title  | character varying(40) |           | not null |
 did    | integer               |           | not null |
Check constraints:
    "check_code" CHECK (code = 'dr'::bpchar)
Foreign-key constraints:
    "fk_did" FOREIGN KEY (did) REFERENCES refs(id)

****Note the FK definition***

test=# ALTER TABLE films ATTACH PARTITION films_partition for values in ('dr');

test=# \d films_partition
                 Table "public.films_partition"
 Column |         Type          | Collation | Nullable | Default
--------+-----------------------+-----------+----------+---------
 id     | integer               |           |          |
 code   | character(5)          |           |          |
 title  | character varying(40) |           | not null |
 did    | integer               |           | not null |
Partition of: films FOR VALUES IN ('dr   ')
Check constraints:
    "check_code" CHECK (code = 'dr'::bpchar)
Foreign-key constraints:
TABLE "films" CONSTRAINT "films_did_fkey" FOREIGN KEY (did) REFERENCES refs(id)

****Note the FK definition***

What you are seeing is the locking for

alter table films_partition ADD CONSTRAINT fk_did FOREIGN KEY (did)
REFERENCES refs (id);

At this point films_partition is a stand alone table that you are creating a FK back to refs. The ALTER TABLE films_partition ADD CONSTRAINT command has no knowledge of the target table you are going to attach films_partition to. When you do the ATTACH then a new FK is created just the same as in Case 1.

On Sun, 20 Oct 2024, 18:23 Adrian Klaver, <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 10/20/24 04:31, user wrote:
     > Hello,
     > I was reading all the tips that could make the attach partition
     > operation seamless.
     > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/ddl-partitioning.html
    <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/ddl-partitioning.html>
     > <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/ddl-partitioning.html
    <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/ddl-partitioning.html>>
    There is
     > a mention about check constraint that could be places before the
    attach
     > process. But to minimise the time when AccessExclusive lock is
    held on
     > my table, I wanted to push it further and also add indexes and
    foreign
     > keys BEFORE the attach command is invoked.
     > And here is a problem. When I run the attach command without foreign
     > keys being present beforehand on a table, there is only
    AccessExclusive
> [...]
     >                      did integer
     >                  );
     > CREATE TABLE films (
     >                      id integer,
     >                      code char(5) ,
     >                      title varchar(40) NOT NULL,
     >                      did integer NOT NULL references refs(id)
     >                      )
     >                      partition by list (code);
     >
     > insert into refs values (5, 5)
     > create table films_partition (LIKE films INCLUDING ALL)
     > case 1: films_partition does not have a foreign key added before
    the attach
     > BEGIN;
     > insert into films_partition values (1, 'dr', 'musician',5)
     > alter table films_partition add constraint check_code check (code
    = 'dr');
     > ALTER TABLE films ATTACH PARTITION films_partition for values in
    ('dr')
     > keep the transaction running...
     >
     > check the locks:
     >
     > select relname, mode
     >                  from pg_locks l
     >                      join pg_class c on (relation = c.oid)
     >                      join pg_namespace nsp on (c.relnamespace =
    nsp.oid);
     > films relname, ShareUpdateExclusiveLock mode
     > films_partition relname, AccessShareLock mode
     > films_partition relname, RowExclusiveLock mode
     > films_partition relname, ShareRowExclusiveLock mode
     > films_partition relname, AccessExclusiveLock mode
     > refs relname, AccessShareLock mode
     > refs relname, RowShareLock mode
     > refs relname, ShareRowExclusiveLock mode
     >
     > No AccessExclusive lock on "refs" table!
     >
     > case 2: films_partition does have the foreign key contrain
     >   BEGIN;
     > insert into films_partition values (1, 'dr', 'musician',5)
     > alter table films_partition add constraint check_code check (code
    = 'dr');
     > alter table films_partition ADD CONSTRAINT fk_did FOREIGN KEY (did)
     > REFERENCES refs (id);
     > ALTER TABLE films ATTACH PARTITION films_partition for values in
    ('dr')
     > keep the transaction running...
     >
     > check the locks:
     >
     > films relname, ShareUpdateExclusiveLock mode
     > films_partition relname, AccessShareLock mode
     > films_partition relname, RowExclusiveLock mode
     > films_partition relname, ShareRowExclusiveLock mode
     > films_partition relname, AccessExclusiveLock mode
     > refs relname, AccessShareLock mode
     > refs relname, RowShareLock mode
     > refs relname, ShareRowExclusiveLock mode
     > refs relname, AccessExclusiveLock mode
     >
     > There is AccessExclusiveLock on "refs" table!
     >
     > Conclusion
     > I really don't want the "attach partition" to take too much time,
    so I
     > want to have all the constraints added before it is run. And
    indeed, the
     > time is reduced. But this additional lock now increases the
    chance of
     > deadlocks, as AccessExclusive locks are grabbed on many tables
     > referenced by foreing keys. Is there anything I can do better?
    Whi is it
     > that attach_partition adds a foreign key without additional
     > AccessExclusive lock,

    https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-altertable.html
    <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-altertable.html>

    ATTACH PARTITION

    [...]

    "Currently FOREIGN KEY constraints are not considered. "

       but this lock is required when the constrint
     > already exists?

    Because I am pretty sure it is due to this statement:

    alter table films_partition ADD CONSTRAINT fk_did FOREIGN KEY (did)
    REFERENCES refs (id);

    Try:

    BEGIN;
    insert into films_partition values (1, 'dr', 'musician',5)
    alter table films_partition add constraint check_code check (code =
    'dr');
    alter table films_partition ADD CONSTRAINT fk_did FOREIGN KEY (did)
    REFERENCES refs (id);
    COMMIT;

    Then:

    ALTER TABLE films ATTACH PARTITION films_partition for values in ('dr')

    Also from

    https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-altertable.html
    <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-altertable.html>

    Take a look at:

    ADD table_constraint [ NOT VALID ]

    "Normally, this form will cause a scan of the table to verify that all
    existing rows in the table satisfy the new constraint. But if the NOT
    VALID option is used, this potentially-lengthy scan is skipped. The
    constraint will still be enforced against subsequent inserts or updates
    (that is, they'll fail unless there is a matching row in the referenced
    table, in the case of foreign keys, or they'll fail unless the new row
    matches the specified check condition). But the database will not
    assume
    that the constraint holds for all rows in the table, until it is
    validated by using the VALIDATE CONSTRAINT option. See Notes below for
    more information about using the NOT VALID option."

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx