Search Postgresql Archives

Re: CLOSE_WAIT pileup and Application Timeout

On 10/6/24 06:26, KK CHN wrote:

On Fri, Oct 4, 2024 at 9:17 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx

    Seems the issue is in the application server. What is not clear to
    me is
    whether the connection timeout you refer to is from the mobile devices
    to the application or the application to the Postgres server?

its from mobile devices to application server.  When I do a restart of application server everything backs to normal.  But after a period of time again it cripples.  That time when I netstat on Application VM lots of  CLOSE_WAIT states as indicated.

    I'm
    guessing the latter as I would expect the mobile devices to drop
connections more often then weekly.
    Yes mobile devices may drops connections at any point of time if it
    reaches an area where signal strength is poor( eg; Underground
    parking or near the areas where mobile data coverage is poor.

The topology is mobile devices  connect and update the location via application VM then   finally in  PGSQL VM.

The application server and  Database server both separate virtual machines.      Application server hangs most often not the database VM. Since there are other applications which update to the database VM without any issue.  The DB VM caters all the writes from other applications. But those applications are different, not fleet management one.

From what I see this really has nothing to do with the Postgres backend. It is a matter of communication, actually lack of communication, between the mobile devices and the application server. A broad answer is that something needs to be done to gracefully deal with mobile device connection drops

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx