Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Error Building Postgres 17.0 from Source

Christophe Pettus <xof@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Oct 4, 2024, at 12:05, Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Yeah, that's what it looks like.  I'm a bit confused though because
>> 16.x should have failed the same way: building our docs without local
>> DTDs has failed for well over a year now [1].

> To add confusion to the fire, I was successfully building pre-17 versions ("make world") locally on MacOS fine without having to install the documentation tools.  It wasn't until 17 that it failed (and installing the doc tools as recommended fixed it).

If you had a locally installed copy of the required DTDs, it should've
worked, but otherwise I don't see how ... oh, wait.  Were you building
from a source tarball?  If so, the difference is that up to v16 we
included prebuilt HTML docs in the tarballs, but as of v17 we don't.
So "make world" now triggers a local docs build where before it
didn't.

You can restore things to the status quo ante if you also download
the now-separate docs tarball, eg

https://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/source/v17.0/postgresql-17.0-docs.tar.gz

and unpack that into the same place as the main source tarball.

			regards, tom lane