Search Postgresql Archives

Re: IO related waits

On 9/18/24 1:40 PM, veem v wrote:

    You were spot on. When we turned off the "auto commit" we started
    seeing less number of commits as per the number of batches.

    However we also started seeing deadlock issues. We have foreign key
    relationships between the tables and during the batch we do insert
    into the parent first and then to the child , but this does happen
    from multiple sessions for different batches. So why do we see below
    error, as we ensure in each batch we first insert into parent and
    then into the child tables?

    caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: deadlock detected
       Detail: Process 10443 waits for ShareLock on transaction
    220972157; blocked by process 10454.
    Process 10454 waits for ShareLock on transaction 220972155; blocked
    by process 10443.
       Hint: See server log for query details.
       Where: while inserting index tuple (88736,28) in relation
    "TAB1_p2024_08_29"

This needs clarification.

1) To be clear when you refer to parent and child that is:
                FK
parent_tbl.fld <--> child_tbl.fld_fk

not parent and child tables in partitioning scheme?

2) What are the table schemas?

3) What is the code that is generating the error?

Overall it looks like this process needs a top to bottom audit to map out what is actually being done versus what needs to be done.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx