Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Postgres Logical Replication - how to see what subscriber is doing with received data?

Hi Muhammad,

On Mon, 2 Sep 2024, 09:45 Muhammad Ikram, <mmikram@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Shaheed,
I think you must have already analyzed the outcome of queries on pg_replication_slots,  pg_current_wal_lsn(), pg_stat_subscription etc. I could find a query SELECT pg_size_pretty(pg_wal_lsn_diff('<publisher_restart_lsn>', '<subscriber_replayed_lsn>'));

Yes. My point is that it is hard to go from byte numbers to table entries.

Aps a side note if you want to see what has been applied to subscribers vs what exists on publisher then here is something from my previous experience. We used to have a Data Validation tool for checking tables/rows across publisher/subscriber.

Ack. That's pretty much what I had to build.

We also used pg_dump for another tool that was meant for making copies of schemas.

I'm somewhat fortunate to have a simple use case where all I am doing is a copy of the "old" deployment to a "new" deployment such that when the two ends are in close sync, I can freeze traffic to the old deployment, pause for any final catchup, and then run a Django migration on the new, before switching on the new (thereby minimising the down time for the app).

What I found by just looking at LSN numbers was that the database LSN were close but NOT the same. Once I built the tool, I was able to see which tables were still in play, and saw that some previously overlooked background timers were expiring, causing the activity.

Net result: the LSNs can tell you if you are not in sync, but not the reason why. (Again, I understand that row counts worked for me, but might not work for others).

Thanks for your kind help and pointers!

Regards,
Muhammad Ikram