Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Upgrade Ubuntu 22 -> 24 may break PostgreSQL

On 8/31/24 19:32, Justin Clift wrote:
On 2024-09-01 02:54, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
'Tis the season again.

As usual, a newer Ubuntu version comes with a newer Postgres version (16
instead of 14). Also as usual, I got a message during the upgrade that
Postgres 14 is obsolete,. but the binaries have been left installed and
I should upgrade to Postgres 16 manually ASAP.

It'd *technically* be possible to automatically run an upgrade of the
PostgreSQL repository (via scripting?) at launch time, though just blindly
doing it for everyone would be a *major* change of behaviour.

The OP was using the Ubuntu repo and for a given major version of Ubuntu that is pinned to a given major version of Postgres. I am not seeing changing that would go over well. Now if a user is using the PGDG repo's that is a different story, then you point at the repo's for the new Ubuntu version do an update/upgrade and you are back on track.

Thoughts?

This is something the end user needs to work out ahead of time as there is an overhead in the process they need to take into consideration. Cranking up a new version of Ubuntu/Debian and have it take off doing things behind the scenes to the Postgres instance(s) would disturb me.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--
Adrian Klaver