Search Postgresql Archives

Re: On a subscriber, why is last_msg_send_time in pg_stat_subscription sometimes null?

On 8/23/24 07:33, Koen De Groote wrote:
I'm running this query:

SELECT subname, received_lsn, latest_end_lsn,
last_msg_send_time, last_msg_receipt_time
FROM pg_catalog.pg_stat_subscription;

And "last_msg_send_time" will sometimes be null. All I can find in the documentation is that this value represents: "Send time of last message received from origin WAL sender; NULL for parallel apply workers"

But I have no context for what parallel apply workers are or why they are NULL sometimes and other times not. >
Can anyone explain?

The source has that information:

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/backend/replication/logical/applyparallelworker.c;h=e7f7d4c5e4bd3ff63687cb21b84534a05a3962cc;hb=HEAD

The top part explains the process.

As to the time:

/*
 * There are three fields in each message received by the parallel apply
 * worker: start_lsn, end_lsn and send_time. Because we have updated these
 * statistics in the leader apply worker, we can ignore these fields in the
 * parallel apply worker (see function LogicalRepApplyLoop).
 */

Regards,
Koen De Groote

--