Try to find any binary  e.g.

find /usr -name pg_ctl
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl
/usr/lib/postgresql/16/bin/pg_ctl

 find /usr -name psql
/usr/bin/psql
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql
/usr/lib/postgresql/16/bin/psql

Later you may create a symlink or add in PATH.
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ikram

On Fri, Aug 23, 2024 at 7:43 AM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 8/22/24 19:21, Tom Lane wrote:
> Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> On 8/22/24 17:36, Arbol One wrote:
>>> After installing PostgreSQL on my Debian-12 machine, I typed 'postgres
>>> --version' and got this msg:
>>> *bash: postgres: command not found*
>>> 'psql --version', however, does work and gives me this message :
>>> *psql (PostgreSQL) 16.3 (Debian 16.3-1.pgdg120+1)*
>>> Obviously postgres is not in the path, but I don't know where the
>>> 'apt-get' installed it or why it did not add it to the path.
>
>> As to where the  postgres command is:
>> ls -al /usr/lib/postgresql/16/bin/
>
> Theory 1: postgres is packaged in a "postgresql-server" package
> and the OP only installed the base (client-side) package.
>
> Theory 2: postgres is installed into some directory not in the OP's
> PATH, such as /usr/sbin.  Since it's primarily used as a daemon,
> this'd be a reasonable thing for a packager to do.

Yes in:

ls -al /usr/lib/postgresql/16/bin/

> I'd bet a nickel on #1, though, because I've not seen too many
> packagers put postgres somewhere other than where they put psql.
> "Separate server package" is extremely common though.

Correct. The missing part is that in Debian/Ubuntu packaging when you
use psql you are actually doing:

ls -al /usr/bin/psql
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 Aug  8 07:37 /usr/bin/psql ->
../share/postgresql-common/pg_wrapper

The Debian packaging routes most things through
pg_wrapper/postgresql-common a Perl script that does the magic of
finding the correct binaries for each Postgres version.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx

--