Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Trouble understanding how to avoid/manage ERROR: multixact "members" limit exceeded

On 8/9/24 03:26, Jim Vanns wrote:
Hi pggen community!

I am struggling with this error almost daily now and despite various efforts, not succeeding in avoiding or dealing with it;

My questions are;

1) How should I be managing this? Although not new to PG, I am new to this particular problem. 2) How can I confirm what processes/tables are contributing to this multixact "members" limit? 3) What are the units for vacuum_multixact_freeze_min_age/vacuum_multixact_freeze_table_age and how should I be     setting them appropriately for my rates etc.? I can't really find anything that explains this clearly. 4) How can I check that autovacuum workers are specifically able to freeze multixact XIDs and thus avoid this?

pg_stat_activity

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/monitoring-stats.html#MONITORING-PG-STAT-ACTIVITY-VIEW

wait_event_type

wait_event

Table 28.12. Wait Events of Type LWLock

This might tell you if something is hanging up on a table or tables.

5) Can I check if autovacuum is actually succeeding in its work

pg_stat_all_tables

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/monitoring-stats.html#MONITORING-PG-STAT-ALL-TABLES-VIEW

Will show you the vacuum/analyze that has been done on a table.

Jim Vanns
Principal Production Engineer
Industrial Light & Magic, London

--