Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Column type modification in big tables

On Wed, Aug 7, 2024 at 4:39 PM Lok P <loknath.73@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello all,
We have a postgres table which is a range partitions on a timestamp column having total size ~3TB holding a total ~5billion rows spanning across ~150 daily partitions and there are ~140+columns in the table. Also this table is a child to another partition table. And we have partition creation handled through pg_partman extension on this table.

We have a requirement of modifying the existing column lengths as below . So doing it directly through a single alter command will probably scan and rewrite the whole table which may take hours of run time.

So trying to understand from experts what is the best possible way to tackle such changes in postgres database? And if any side effects we may see considering this table being child to another one and also dependency with pg_partman extension.

two of the columns from varchar(20) to numeric(3)
one of the columns from varchar(20) to varchar(2)
one of the columns from Number(10,2) to Numeric(8,2)

Others may correct but i think, If you don't have the FK defined on these columns you can do below.

--Alter table add column which will be very fast within seconds as it will just add it to the data dictionary.

ALTER TABLE tab1 ADD COLUMN new_column1 NUMERIC(3),   new_column2 varchar2(3);

-- Back populate the data partition wise and commit, if it's really needed

UPDATE tab1_part1 SET new_column1 = CAST(old_column1 AS NUMERIC(3)), new_column2 = CAST(old_column2 AS varchar2(3)) ;
commit;
UPDATE tab1_part2 SET new_column1 = CAST(old_column1 AS NUMERIC(3)), new_column2 = CAST(old_column2 AS varchar2(3)) ;
commit;
UPDATE tab1_part3 SET new_column1 = CAST(old_column1 AS NUMERIC(3)), new_column2 = CAST(old_column2 AS varchar2(3)) ;
commit;

--Alter table drop old columns which will be very fast within seconds as it will just drop it from the data dictionary.

ALTER TABLE your_table DROP COLUMN old_column1, DROP COLUMN old_column2;