Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL Active-Active Clustering

> On Jul 15, 2024, at 12:06, Sarkar, Subhadeep <subhadeepsarkar@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>  • Does the Community edition of PostgreSQL provide NATIVE active-active high availability clustering with objectives of scalability, load balancing and high availability without using any extensions or external components or usage of Kubernetes/Dockers.
>
>  • In the Community edition of PostgreSQL is it possible to setup a database cluster in load balancing mode and provide vertical and horizontal scalability without repartitioning or changes to the database objects or 3rd party transaction routing mechanisms using NATIVE features only (i.e. without using any extensions or external components or usage of Kubernetes/Dockers).
>
>  • In the Community edition of PostgreSQL is it possible to setup  a cluster where all the nodes are able to concurrently read-write the underlying database image using NATIVE features (i.e. without using any extensions or external components or usage of Kubernetes/Dockers).

I do have to add that this list of requirements sounds very much like a set supplied by the sales organization of a commercial database vendor (in fact, a particular commercial database vendor) in order to exclude open-source software.  Open-source software relies very much on a whole ecosystem, rather than attempting to deliver every imaginable feature in the core distribution.  This is especially true of projects like PostgreSQL which are not backed by a single company and do not have an official commercial distribution.  Can your client articulate why they need these specific features, and why they must be in the core distribution?