Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Finding error in long input file

> On 10 Jul 2024, at 06:58, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 7/9/24 17:46, Craig McIlwee wrote:
>> Full error message from earlier in the thread:
>> > psql:scripts/insert-addrs.sql:488: ERROR:  syntax error at or near ";"
>> > LINE 488: ...2832,1,default,'85250 Red House Rd','Paisley','OR','97636');
>> >                                                                           ^
>>    The error:
>>    LINE 488: ...2832,1,default,'85250 Red House Rd','Paisley','OR','97636')
>>    is giving you the line number and the data:
>>    a) Navigate to that line number using whatever method Joe has for that.
>>    b) Search for '85250 Red House Rd'.
>> The input file is 488 lines (presumably, since Rich said the file should insert 488 rows).  It seems like too much of a coincidence that the last character of the last line is really the error.  My guess is that there
>
> This assumes that there where only INSERT lines and that each INSERT was only one line. I have bit by those assumptions before, hence my suggestion to actually find line 488.
>
>> is an unmatched character, perhaps a parenthesis, that is throwing off the parser because it doesn't expect the statement to terminate yet.  Maybe that unmatched char really is on the last line, but '85250 Red House Rd' doesn't seem like the issue.  I don't know anything about the joe editor, but I'd hope that any decent editor with syntax highlighting would make it apparent where things went awry.
>> Craig

Is this a single INSERT statement with multiple tuples after VALUES? Then perhaps an earlier line (my bet would be on line 487) accidentally ends with a semi-colon instead of a comma?

Something like this:

INSERT INTO table (col1, col2, ..., coln) VALUES
(..., ..., ); -- <-- This terminates the INSERT
(..., ..., ); -- <-- Now this line make no sense

Alban Hertroys