Search Postgresql Archives

Re: v16 roles, SET FALSE, INHERIT FALSE, ADMIN FALSE

On Mon, Jul 8, 2024 at 2:16 PM Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Pavel Luzanov <p.luzanov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On 08.07.2024 22:22, Christophe Pettus wrote:
>> This is more curiosity than anything else.  In the v16 role system, is there actually any reason to grant membership in a role to a different role, but with SET FALSE, INHERIT FALSE, and ADMIN FALSE?  Does the role granted membership gain any ability it didn't have before in that case?

> Looks like there is one ability.
> Authentication in pg_hba.conf "USER" field via +role syntax.

Hmm, if that check doesn't require INHERIT TRUE I'd say it's
a bug.

The code doesn't support that claim.  It seems quite intentional that this check is purely on membership - what with ACL having a dedicated function for the purpose of checking plain recursive membership that only this and the circularity check code use.  I suppose it makes sense too - at least unless you also check for SET - since it seems desirable to allow login as a member role to a group you can only SET to and don't inherit from.

David J.