Search Postgresql Archives

Re: TOAST Table / Dead Tuples / Free Pages

On 6/13/24 01:08, Kashif Zeeshan wrote:
Hi

You can use the CLUSTER command, which will physically reorder the table based on index, effectively reducing the size of the table without using VACUUM.

From OP:

"I don’t want to use VACUUM FULL due to the exclusive lock."

From here

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-cluster.html

"When a table is being clustered, an ACCESS EXCLUSIVE lock is acquired on it. This prevents any other database operations (both reads and writes) from operating on the table until the CLUSTER is finished."

CLUSTER your_table USING your_index;

Or you can use the pg_repack extension as well.

pg_repack -d your_database -t your_table

Regards
Kashif Zeeshan