Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Json table/column design question

On 5/23/24 09:06, Skorpeo Skorpeo wrote:
Thank you for the valuable feedback.  I see people are big fans of json here.

You can be a fan of JSON and still think it is not the correct way to store data in a relational database. When you do that you often end up with nested, possibly unstructured, data sets. That ends up with the exertion of more effort to get the data out in any meaningful form and in a timely manner then the time and effort it would take to enter it in a structured way.

On Thu, May 23, 2024 at 3:04 AM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:laurenz.albe@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On Wed, 2024-05-22 at 22:38 -0500, Skorpeo Skorpeo wrote:
     > I was wondering if having unrelated columns in a table is a sound
    approach when
     > using json.  In other words, if I have two collections of
    unrelated json objects,
     > for example "Users" and "Inventory", would it be ok to have one
    table with a
     > "Users" column and a "Inventory" column?  My concern is that from
    a row
     > perspective the columns could be different lengths, such as more
    inventory
     > items as users.  And for any given row the data in one column
    would have no
     > relation to another column. I would only query a single column at
    a time.

     > Would this approach be ok or are there pitfalls such that it would be
     > advantageous/recommended to have a separate table for each column?

    It doesn't matter much if you use one or two columns.
    But the word "collection" makes me worry.  Perhaps this article can give
    you some ideas:

    https://www.cybertec-postgresql.com/en/json-postgresql-how-to-use-it-right/ <https://www.cybertec-postgresql.com/en/json-postgresql-how-to-use-it-right/>

    Yours,
    Laurenz Albe