Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Unexpected data when subscribing to logical replication slot

On 5/9/24 00:32, Daniel McKenzie wrote:

We've had this running in live now for years without a hiccup so we are surprised to learn that we have this massive race condition and it just so happens that the hardware is fast enough to process the transaction before the .NET application can react to replication slot changes.

On broad scale I'm going to say that over 'for years' there has been an increase in load on the Postgres server as well as the I/0 system of the machine it is running on. What you are seeing now is the canary in the mine giving you the heads up that more trouble lies ahead as the hardware and software is reaching load limits.

On finer scale my guess is that the following is happening when synchronous_commit = on:

1) Postgres session #1 does data change.

2) This is replicated out and picked up by wal2json, which sees the new data.

3) The Postgres server waits for the confirmation that the WAL record has been written out to disk. Upon confirmation it commits on the server. This is the part that I am not sure of in relation to wal2json.

4) Postgres session #2 queries the database for the record. In the case where 3) has not completed it sees the old values as the data change in session #1 has not committed and therefore the new values are not seen by other sessions.

Daniel McKenzie
Software Developer

--
Adrian Klaver