Search Postgresql Archives

Re: best migration solution

On Thu, Apr 25, 2024 at 12:55 PM Zwettler Markus (OIZ) <Markus.Zwettler@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

we have to migrate from hosted PG12 to containerized PG16 on private cloud.

some of the installed PG12 extensions are not offered on the containerized PG16, eg. PostGIS related extensions like pg_routing and ogr_fdw.

some of these extensions are not needed anymore. some of these extensions were installed in their own schema.

we also need to change the database names and most role names due to external requirements.

I came up with this solution.

dump all roles with pg_dumpall.

edit this dumpfile and

  • exclude roles not needed
  • change required role names

dump all required databases with pg_dump

  • in plain text
  • exclude all schemas not needed

edit this dump file and

  • exclude any "create extension" command for not existing extensions
  • change all required role names on permissions and ownerships

any missings?
any better solutions?

Hi

This solution is ok and should work.

Regards
Kashif Zeeshan
Bitnine Global

I wonder whether a plain text dump could lead to conversion problems or something similar?