Search Postgresql Archives

Re: CLUSTER vs. VACUUM FULL

On 4/22/24 11:45 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 12:29 PM David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:david.g.johnston@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On Mon, Apr 22, 2024, 08:37 Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:ronljohnsonjr@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 10:25 AM Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

            Marcos Pegoraro <marcos@xxxxxxxxxx
            <mailto:marcos@xxxxxxxxxx>> writes:
             > But wouldn't it be good that VACUUM FULL uses that index
            defined by
             > Cluster, if it exists ?

            No ... what would be the difference then?

        What the VACUUM docs "should" do, it seems, is suggest CLUSTER
        on the PK, if the PK is a sequence (whether that be an actual
        sequence, or a timestamp or something else that grows
        monotonically).

        That's because the data is already roughly in PK order.

    If things are bad enough to require a vacuum full that doesn't seem
    like a good assumption.

Sure it does.

For example, I just deleted the oldest half of the records in 30 tables.  Tables who's CREATED_ON timestamp value strongly correlates to the synthetic PK sequence values.

Thus, the remaining records were still mostly in PK order.  CLUSTERs on the PK values would have taken just about as much time as the VACUUM FULL statements which I /did/ run.

1) If they are already in enough of a PK order that the CLUSTER time vs VACUUM FULL time would not be material as there is not much or any sorting to do then what does the CLUSTER gain you? Unless this table then became read only whatever small gain arose from the CLUSTER would fade away as UPDATEs and DELETEs where done.

2) What evidence is there that the records where still in PK order just because you deleted based on CREATED_ON? I understand the correlation between CREATED_ON and the PK just not sure why that would necessarily translate to an on disk order by PK?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx