Search Postgresql Archives

Re: (When) can a single SQL statement return multiple result sets?

On 11.04.24 01:02, Tom Lane wrote:
And if not, why can't I write a stored procedure
or function that returns multiple result sets?

[ shrug... ] Lack of round tuits, perhaps.  We don't have any
mechanism today whereby a stored procedure could say "please ship
this resultset off to the client, but I want to continue afterwards".
But you can do that in other RDBMSes and probably somebody will be
motivated to make it possible in Postgres.

The development of this feature was the subject of this thread: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/6e747f98-835f-2e05-cde5-86ee444a7140@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

But it has not concluded successfully yet.