Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Postgres_FDW doc doesn't specify TYPE support in Remote Execution Options

Hi, please ignore my last email about the patch. :/

I have determined that pushdown of custom data types through fdw in fact does make sense.

Consider this query:
SELECT * FROM customers WHERE <user_defined_type_col> <user_defined_operator> <user_defined_function>;

To push down the WHERE clause to the foreign servers, both local and foreign server must have the user_defined database objects (else the query won't work on the foreign servers).
For built-in types, operators, functions, Postgres knows that pushdown is safe as the foreign servers the db objects. But for the user_defined db objects, postgres won't know. Hence, user_defined_type_col needs to be pushed down explicitly.