Search Postgresql Archives

prepared statement "cu1" already exists (but it does not)

Hello,

In a specific case, I get the error

  prepared statement "cu1" already exists

I understand when this can happen, but in fact I do de-allocate prepared statements when I should.

I am investigating on this for several hours now, I thought I could share my problem to see if this ring a bell.

I am using PostgreSQL 16.2 or 15.1 (I can try older versions if needed)

Platform is Debian 11

I am using the libpq C API to execute SQL statements, mixing:

  • PQprepare
  • PQexecPrepared
  • PQexecParams
  • PQexec

When a prepared statement handle is no longer needed, I do execute

       deallocate cu1

(seems there is no C API to de-allocate a prepared statement, right?)

For result sets (SELECT), I do PQprepare / PQexecPrepared of "server cursors" with:

      declare cu1 cursor for ...

When a server cursor is no longer needed, I do PQexec(conn, "close curs-name')

The problem occurs when doing a first transaction, where an INSERT fails because of a table UNIQUE constraint.

After the rollback, I restart a new TX with begin, several PQexec() of SELECT and UPDATE succeed, but on a subsequent PQprepare/PQexecPrepared using a "declare cu1 cursor for select ...", I the error "cu1 statement already exists"... and I don't see how cu1 can exist.

Before doing the rollback, I try to deallocate the prepared statement with deallocate cu1, but this fails with error:

   current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block

I understand that the whole TX is aborted with PostgreSQL, and probably the deallocate is useless since stmt was prepared inside the TX?

I just want to make sure that doing a deallocate in this context does not confuse PostgreSQL.

I have tried to skip the deallocate in case of SQL error, but on the subsequent PQprepare/PQexecPrepared, I still get the error that the cu1 statement already exists.

Is it an issue if I use the same name for a prepared statement and the server cursor? I mean:

   PQprepare(pgConn, "cu1", "declare cu1 cursor for ... ", ... )
   PQexecPrepared(pgConn, "cu1", ... )

My understanding is that a prepared stmt and server cursor are 2 distinct objects.

Anyway: I tried to use distinct names but that did not help.

Note that when the INSERT succeeds, I do not get the error prepared statement "cu1" already exists

Any suggestion is welcome!

Seb