Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Clarification on View Privileges and Operator Execution in PostgreSQL

On Sun, Apr 7, 2024 at 11:02 AM Ayush Vatsa <ayushvatsa1810@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If you want to confirm what the documentation says create a custom operator/function that alex is not permitted to execute and have them query a view defined by postgres that uses that function.
Thanks for the suggestion, it helped and I found out alex could not execute the view as it didn't have privileges for the function associated with operator

But a small doubt arises here I have to revoke the execution of the function using the command
REVOKE ALL ON ALL FUNCTIONS IN SCHEMA public from public;
but when I tried
REVOKE EXECUTE ON FUNCTION text_equals(text,text) FROM alex;
or
REVOKE ALL ON FUNCTION text_equals(text,text) FROM alex;
It didn't work i.e alex can still execute text_equals function. Why is it so?

Especially the part regarding default privileges.  The PUBLIC pseudo-role is granted execute on functions by default.  You are probably trying to revoke a privilege from alex that was never granted to alex directly.

David J.