Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Table level restore in postgres

On Thu, Mar 28, 2024 at 2:27 PM arun chirappurath <arunsnmimt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear all,

I am a new bie in postgres world....

Suppose I have accidently deleted a table or deleted few rows ,is it safe to drop this table and restore just this table from custom backup to same database?

By "custom backup", do you mean a dump file created by "pg_dump --format=custom"?

Or should I create a new database and restore it there and then migrate the data?

What is the general methodology used?

If you backup the database using "pg_dump --format=custom", then yes, you can use
pg_restore --format=custom --table=${sometable} --database=$yourdatabase

I'd test it first, though, in a scratch database (with scratch tables and scratch data), just to ensure that the command doesn't first drop the database.