Search Postgresql Archives

Re: After 10 -> 15 upgrade getting "cannot commit while a portal is pinned" on one python function

On 3/27/24 15:44, Tom Lane wrote:

Perhaps "pinned" in the error message means "open"?
No, it means "pinned" ... but I see that plpython pins the portal
underlying any PLyCursor object it creates.  Most of our PLs do
that too, to prevent a portal from disappearing under them (e.g.
if you were to try to close the portal directly from SQL rather
than via whatever mechanism the PL wants you to use).

I added a cursor.close() as the last line called in that function and it
works again.
It looks to me like PLy_cursor_close does pretty much exactly the same
cleanup as PLy_cursor_dealloc, including unpinning and closing the
underlying portal.  I'm far from a Python expert, but I suspect that
the docs you quote intend to say "cursors are disposed of when Python
garbage-collects them", and that the reason your code is failing is
that there's still a reference to the PLyCursor somewhere after the
plpython function exits, perhaps in a Python global variable.

			regards, tom lane

Thank you for your reply, as always, Tom!

Debugging at this level might well be over my paygrade ;-)

I just happy that the function works again, and that I was able to share a solution to this apparently rare error with the community.

Jeff