Search Postgresql Archives

回复:Orphan files filling root partition after crash

Hello, it looks like I've run into the same issue as you. I exhausted the disk
space while executing DDL operations, and then after crash recovery, I found
there were orphaned files.
I believe the reason is that due to the lack of space, some of the WAL logs were
not persisted, such as the abort-type WAL logs. During the WAL replay phase,
the absence of abort-type WAL logs resulted in missing the corresponding unlink
operations.
I can replicate a similar scenario. For example, 16394 is an orphaned file that
was generated by the DDL but was not rolled back.

1. CREATE TABLE test(id int);
2. INSERT INTO test SELECT generate_series(1, 100000000);
3. ALTER TABLE test ALTER COLUMN id TYPE bigint;
  sudo chmod 000 pg_wal
4. sudo chmod 777 pg_wal
  pg_waldump xxx
5. pg_ctl -D /data start
6. ll -h /data/base/5

1.0G Mar 26 11:47 16387.1
1.0G Mar 26 11:47 16387.2
385M Mar 26 13:38 16387.3
888K Mar 26 13:38 16387_fsm
112K Mar 26 11:51 16387_vm
1.0G Mar 26 13:47 16394
179M Mar 26 13:47 16394.1
320K Mar 26 13:47 16394_fsm

postgres=# select pg_size_pretty(pg_database_size('postgres'));
pg_size_pretty
----------------
4668 MB
(1 row)
postgres=# select pg_size_pretty(pg_total_relation_size('test'));
pg_size_pretty
3458 MB
(1 row)
postgres=# select count(*) from pg_class where pg_relation_filenode(oid) = 16394;
count
-------
    0
(1 row)