Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Not able to purge partition

On Sun, 24 Mar 2024 at 20:29, Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 2024-03-24 at 00:37 +0530, veem v wrote:
> > Instead, use foreign keys between the partitions.
>
> I am struggling to understand how to maintain those partitions then?
> As because we were planning to use pg_partman for creating and dropping
> partitions automatically without much hassle.

I understand.

But do you want to pursue a way that is not working well, just because
the tool you chose cannot handle it?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Thank you so much Laurenz.

Can you please suggest some docs which shows the way we should do the partition maintenance (if not using pg_partman)?

Actually , I am not able to visualize the steps here. Do you mean to say , we will just create the partition tables without any foreign key constraints first. Then create parent table future partitions first (say 10 days partitions) and then child table future 10 days partitions manually and during that define the foreign key constraints , indexes etc. Here , how to exactly find the exact matching parent partitions so as to create the foreign keys one to one?