Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Is this a buggy behavior?

Am 24.03.24 um 16:28 schrieb Thiemo Kellner:

Am 24.03.2024 um 16:17 schrieb Tom Lane:

To do that, we'd have to remember that you'd said NULL, which we
don't: the word is just discarded as a noise clause. Considering
that this usage of NULL isn't even permitted by the SQL standard,
that seems like a bit too much work.

If I understood correctly, only the NOT NULL expression gets remembered, but the NULL gets discarded. No, I do not quite get it. Somehow, it has to be decided whether to create a "check constraint" or not, but this information is not available any more when creating the primary key? Not even in some kind of intermediary catalogue?

the null-able constraint addition to a column is pointless because by default all columns are nullable. definition as a primary key adds the not null constraint.

Andreas

--
Andreas Kretschmer
CYBERTEC PostgreSQL Services and Support