Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL as advanced job queuing system

On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 8:05 AM Dominique Devienne <ddevienne@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 12:58 PM ushi <ushi@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> i am playing with the idea to implement a job queuing system using PostgreSQL.
>

> FYI, two bookmarks I have on this subject, that I plan to revisit eventually:
> * https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20020501
> * https://www.enterprisedb.com/blog/listening-postgres-how-listen-and-notify-syntax-promote-high-availability-application-layer
>
> If others have links to good articles on this subject, or good input to give in this thread, I'd be interested. Thanks, --DD

This is a well worn topic within the postgres community, with a number
of different implementations, but a couple of links that are probably
worth looking at would be:
- https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PGQ_Tutorial, probably the first
queue system that gained wide adoption
- https://brandur.org/river, a new queue system based on postgres/go,
which also has a link to an article about why the authors had ditched
postgres based queueing in favor of redis some years before which is
worth a read to understand some of the issues that Postgres has as the
basis for a queue system.

And yeah, I suspect this may become a hot topic again now that Redis
is moving away from open source:
https://redis.com/blog/redis-adopts-dual-source-available-licensing/

Robert Treat
https://xzilla.net