Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pg_dumpall with flag --no-role-passwords omits roles comments as well

> On 21 Mar 2024, at 13:28, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 2024-Mar-21, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>
>> Comments on roles are stored against the pg_authid catalog relation which is
>> the catalog used for dumping roles, but when using --no-role-passwords we
>> instead switch to using the pg_roles catalog relation.  Since comments are
>> dumped for the relations which are dumped, this means that the comments on
>> roles are omitted when --no-role-passwords is used.
>>
>> It's not clear whether that was intentional or not, I'm failing to find the
>> thread where it was discussed on a quick mailing list search.
>
> Here it is:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAEP4nAz9V4H41_4ESJd1Gf0v%3DdevkqO1%3Dpo91jUw-GJSx8Hxqg%40mail.gmail.com

Aha, thanks! I too see no mention of it being intentional here.

> I very much doubt that they realized that comments were going to be
> omitted.  But clearly it's just a mistake, and easily fixed.

It sure looks like a search/replace kind of bug.  I had just typed up the exact
same patch with the addition of a comment on why pg_authid is used and was
about to hit send when your email came =) Are you committing it or do you want
me to take care of it?

--
Daniel Gustafsson