Search Postgresql Archives

Re: update to 16.2

El día viernes, marzo 08, 2024 a las 12:56:16 -0800, Christophe Pettus escribió:

> > On Mar 8, 2024, at 00:53, Matthias Apitz <guru@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > It does not say definitely that for all other versions a dump/restore is
> > required.
>
> You cannot just replace the binaries to upgrade from an earlier major version to 16.X.  The release notes use "a dump/restore (is/is not) required" to indicated whether you can just replace the binaries ("is not") and restart the server on the same database files.

I know we can't just switch the binaries and restart the server. We're
compiling the PostgreSQL software by our own (even with some small
changes in the C-code) and deliver the full tree as

/usr/local/sisis-pap/pgsql-11.1
/usr/local/sisis-pap/pgsql-14.1
/usr/local/sisis-pap/pgsql-15.1

Also the migration path for customers is described and based on
pg_dumpall, setup a new cluster fromm the above new version and load the
dump with the new psql command into. The other option (pg_upgrade) we
never used.

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@xxxxxxxxxxx, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045

I am not at war with Russia.  Я не воюю с Россией.
Ich bin nicht im Krieg mit Russland.