Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pl/pgsql outside the DB, (i.e. on the terminal) possible ?

On 3/7/24 12:20, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
Στις 7/3/24 21:29, ο/η Adrian Klaver έγραψε:
On 3/7/24 10:13, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
Στις 7/3/24 18:44, ο/η Robert Treat έγραψε:

I am not talking for fun. I am talking about the future programmers of this world. Teaching Python or C to them upon arrival to the classes seems so wrong in every aspect.

Seems to me you need to tackle this from the other end, that is what are you looking for in a first language?

Something like good ol Pascal, just a little more market-correct to make it viable. Something that puts sanity and simplicity above impression or anything else. C or Python as first languages (like seems the norm among UNIs) is suicidal. I am strongly against it. Kids just dont learn the essentials. And the path goes like , simple -> lower lever (C/Assembly) , but also higher level (C++/Java/Python/etc). Destroying their minds by starting with Python or C just minimizes the chances for future great C programmers or Java/Python programmers.

Would that not be covered by a theory of programing course series?

I will admit up front this is getting out of my depth, but from my experiences with programming languages they, at a high level, all do the same thing basically. Transform text into low level operations on a machine. Therefore course work on what those low level operations are and the way to abstract above the machine code level would seem to me the way to go. Then a series of classes that move languages from lower to higher level.

Ppl from the community already expressed to me the shortage of new ppl willing to write system level (linux/postgersql) C code. And nothing is accidental.

What do UNIs in USA or Europe or Asia teach in 1st semester ?

line isn't strictly one of them.

Robert Treat
https://xzilla.net

--