Search Postgresql Archives

Re: v11.5- v15.3 upgrade (linux)

On 3/7/24 07:47, David Gauthier wrote:
Please reply to list also.
Ccing list

 >>I would definitely read the release notes for 12.0, 13.0, 14.0 and 15.0.
Check !  None of the breaking changes affect me.

 >>How are and from where are you installing the Postgres package(s)?
IT does the installs.  I'd have to check with them.
What would you recommend ? (again, linux installs)

I would use the packaging system for whatever Linux distro you are on. In particular, if available, the community repos from here:

https://www.postgresql.org/download/

They generally offer more choice of Postgres versions for a given distro version.

 >>.The would be plan 2 if installing  the plperlu package is not possible
We do not want or need plperlu on the 15.3 DB

Then you can skip installing that package, assuming you have cleared out all references to plperlu in the 11 instance.

 >> I would backup the 11.5 instance...
Absolutely.  In fact, IT was planning on doing an 11.5 backup and restore on 15.3.  Unsure if restoring an 11.5 into a 15.3 is a wise approach.  Any thoughts on that?

According to item below that was already tested and worked. Is that correct?

 >>The above is going to depend on the size of the database
Relative to what PG can do, this one is small (a few million records/table tops).  No partitioning.

>>If you have the ability to do a test migration on a test machine where oops are not a problem that would be way to verify the 2) and 3) options.
Already done.  He restored the 11.5 on 15.3 and I tested it.  Works fine.

So good to go, depending on extent of testing.

I don't think I'll be able to sell the "3" option above to the IT group.  I think they'll want to do something simpler and with fewer steps.
So the question is... option 1 or 2 ?  Or does it matter, either can work ?

If it where me it would be 1) as that gives you a fallback provision to the original 11 instance.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx