Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Thoughts on user-defined types for talk at Postgres conference?

Greetings,

* Guyren Howe (guyren@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Thanks for that!

We'd generally prefer that responses are in-line (such as I'm doing
here) and not top-posted (as you did on your response).  This helps
others reading the lists follow the discussion.

> It seems as though a Composite Type having only fixed-length fields should be able to be regarded as a fixed-length value.

... and I nearly missed this comment due to the above.

While I can understand where you're coming from with that, it's
certainly not something the system is built to handle today and, at
least from my recent review of this area, looks like there would be a
fair bit of code involved to get to that point.

I do agree with you that this would be very nice to have and perhaps
someone will find interest and time to work on moving us in that
direction in the future.

Thanks!

Stephen