Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Content for talk on Postgres Type System at PostgresConf

On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 05:51:11PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> >> money is a fixed-point decimal value, the number of decimal
> >> places is locale determined. I’m not aware of any particular
> >> problems with that

> > You forget about the currency symbol dynamic. Like with time zones
> > the local session provides the context, not the stored data.

> Yeah.  The fact that the same stored value might look like 10.00
> euros to one session and 1000 yen to another one is pretty
> catastrophic.  The other nasty thing about money is that it's an
> int64 so it can't represent more than 2^63 pennies (for whatever a
> "penny" is).  Now, that's still a Frickin Lot Of Money in any
> non-hyperinflated currency, but it's the sort of restriction that
> banks don't like to hear of.

Lame excuse first: I have never used the money type, probably because
I overheard a word like "catastrophic" in my early development :-)

But, doesn't what Tom says above contradict Adrian's example session?
Either the stored value is re-interpreted according to the locale
context, or it isn't. IMO it would be *more* catastrophic if it wasn't,
as it looks from Adrian's example.

--
Ian