Search Postgresql Archives

Non-Stored Generated Columns

Hi.

From https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/ddl-generated-columns.html:
> PostgreSQL currently implements only stored generated columns

We use generated columns extensively.
And we have foreign-keys attached to those generated columns.
The fact they are always Stored thus wastes space in our case.
Any chance PostgreSQL might gain actual virtual / non-stored generated columns soon? Ever?

For reference, both Oracle and SQLite have virtual / non-stored columns.
And both support FKs and indexes on those too.
Would be great to have feature parity on this particular point, eventually.

Thanks, --DD