Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Aligning grants and privileges

On Wed, 28 Feb, 2024, 2:14 am Adrian Klaver, <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2/27/24 12:40, veem v wrote:
> Hi,
> We have two different types of DBA group in current on-premise Oracle
> databases,  one who deploy code in prod and highest level of privileges
> (i.e having write access to the database objects, performing backup
> recovery, export/import and performing other database maintenance jobs etc).
>
> and other groups, who only have read only privileges (select catalogue
> role i.e access to data dictionary views, run time and historical
> performance views along) mainly look into the performance issues and
> more alligns towards the functional part of the application ,
> understands the database design working closely with Application
> Development team and they have read only access to the databases. They
> are expert in reading query execution path and have privilege to run the
> explain command, reading sqlmonitor report, creating profiles, baselines
> , adding hints to the query by understanding inefficient execution path,
> fetching AWR report, tracing sql queries, gathering object statistics,
> accessing OEM(oracle enterprise manager ) to monitor performance.
> Suggesting appropriate indexes and partitioning strategies for tables etc.
>
> Now that we are moving few of the applications to Postgres on-premise
> database and few to aws RDS postgres. What kind of privileges should we
> provide to these two groups? Mainly we don't want the performance guys
> to have the elevated privileges. I can understand , readonly access to
> the table is something we can give to those users. Apart from that, are
> there any specific privileges which we should provide,  so as to enable
> look and debug into all types of performance issues without any
> obstruction and at the same time not giving elevated privileges?

Read:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/predefined-roles.html

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you so much.

All the reader roles mentioned in the above url looks appropriate for someone who needs to have high levels read privilege but no write privilege. Hope same available in RDS too.

Vacuum analyze looks similar to stats gather , will those need special privilege or the read privilege like pg_read_all_data, pg_read_all_stats, pg_read_all_setting will be enough to be able to run vaccum on a table?

Is there some facilities to trace a running session and see the trace files to analyze performance issues. And if any special role needed for that?

Regards
Veem