Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Mat Views and Conflicts

On 2/20/24 04:20, Zahir Lalani wrote:

1) When you say '... ran the underlying query ...' are you referring to:

REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-refreshmaterializedview.html

2) What is the complete error message from the Postgres log?

Have I got it wrong??

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx

To clarify:

We are not running the REFRESH. We are only running the materialised view. We used to run the non-view query directly and always suffered from the conflict with recovery error due to data changes on the replica server during the query run. We increased the max_standby_streaming_delay quite a lot, but these are very heavy queries which take a long time. So that is when we decided to convert to an MV. We get the conflict a lot less, but still enough to be annoying. This suggests that not all the MV data is cached and it still queries the source tables in some way?