Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Encryption Options

On Fri, Feb 16, 2024 at 1:53 AM sud <suds1434@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello Friends,

We are newly moving to postgres database (yet to decide if it would be an on premise one or AWS aurora postgres). However ,  we want to understand what  encryption / decryption techniques are available in the postgres database.

We may have some sensitive/"personal information" (like customer name, account number etc )stored in the database

The problem with encrypting "account number" is that you can't JOIN or WHERE on it. That's not always necessary, though.  The pgcrypto module does what it says, but requires application-level changes,

Encryption at rest can be accomplished with filesystem-level encryption, and backup encryption.  (PgBackRest has that feature, using AES-256.  Don't know about BarMan.)