Search Postgresql Archives

How should we design our tables and indexes

 Hello,
        We want to have the response time in <1 sec for our UI search query requirement. These will be pagination queries. These read queries will be on big transaction tables (will have ~500+ attributes approx will have approx. rows size of ~1KB) having a continuous stream of inserts consumed from source. And these tables will be a daily range partitioned on the processing_date column. Each partition is going to hold approx ~450million rows when it will serve in full capacity to all the customers transactions.

 The customer will be given the capability to search on a Max date range of 30 days of transaction data i.e ~30 range partitions and are supposed to get the query response back in <1 sec as it will be UI from which those queries will be submitted.

1)Is there any way in postgres to influence the optimizer for the "first_row" optimization, so that it won't go for evaluating all the rows from such UI search queries. As because these will be pagination queries and the user will be interested in seeing top 100 transactions in the first page asap?

 2) For e.g below is one sample query from a similar system but in a different database. Want to understand , what would be the appropriate indexes to make this above search query run in the quickest possible time?

  one Index on table1(MID) , one index Table1(CID), one index on table2(ACN_NBR)?
  OR
  Should we create a composite index here combining PR_ID i.e (PR_ID, MID), (PR_ID, CID), (PR_ID, ACN_NBR) as that is the most unique attribute here?

select  count(*) over() as total_record, *
from
    (select  .......
        from   TABLE1
            Left join schema1.TABLE2  on TABLE2.PR_ID = TABLE1.PR_ID  and TABLE2.MID = TABLE1.MID
and TABLE2.processing_date=TABLE1.processing_date
        where   TABLE2.processing_date between '2023-04-20' and '2023-05-21'-- Partition pruning
            and TABLE2.ACN_NBR = 'XXXX'
            and ( TABLE1.MID in (XXXXXX) OR TABLE1.CID in (XXXXXX))
        order by   TABLE1.PR_TIME DESC
    )
limit  100 offset 0;

The data pattern for the columns used in predicate are as below:-  Table1 will be the driving table.

count(distinct ACN_NBR) - 25million
count(distinct MID) - 223k
count(distinct CID) - 59k
count(*)from table1 and table2- ~350 million
PR_ID is a unique key.

3)One of the use cases is that the customer should be able to search on certain attributes and should be able to see the transactions in "desc by processing_date" i.e. latest transactions on the first page on the UI. And in such scenario, if the search attribute is less unique and the customer puts a date range of a month i.e. over 30 partitions , it may results in scanning and sorting billions of rows to get the top/recent ~100 transactions and most likely not going to respond back in <1 sec, even goes for the index. So how should we handle or design indexes for catering such queries?  For e.g. if we have the only filter on column "TABLE1.CID" in the above query, which is very less unique then how to handle it?

 4)And finally, the parameter "settings" which we have currently is as below for the current system. So I wanted to understand, if they are accurate or any oddity and we should change those to cater such requirements?

 For e.g. if we set "max_parallel_workers_per_gather"=4 to speed up the queries, then we will be able to serve only 32/4=8 concurrent user requests at any point in time. If we are targeting to serve ~100 concurrent users , will it be advisable to change or we should test the system with default i.e. not setting this parallel parameter?

Settings:
effective_cache_size = '176237472kB', maintenance_io_concurrency = '1', max_parallel_workers = '32', max_parallel_workers_per_gather = '4', search_path = 'public, public, "$user"', temp_buffers = '16MB', work_mem = '2GB', enable_partitionwise_join = 'on'

Regards
Veem