Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Question on partitioning

Thank you Laurenz. Got it.

So basically , you mean to say any DDL on a table won't allow the table to be read by other processes. I was under the assumption that it should allow the read queries to move ahead at least. I must be wrong here. Thanks for correcting me.

On Tue, 6 Feb 2024 at 15:46, Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2024-02-06 at 00:26 +0530, veem v wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Feb 2024 at 17:52, Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2024-02-05 at 03:09 +0530, veem v wrote:
> > > In postgresql, Is it possible to partition an existing nonpartitioned table having data
> > > already residing in it and indexes and constraints defined in it, without the need of
> > > manually moving the data around, to make it faster?
> >
> > There is no way to do that.
>
> Which means for any such operation we need to create a new partition table with that
> structure and load that with the data from the existing partition table.

You could use logical replication to keep the downtime short.

> Additionally I see a lot of other restrictions like
> 1)When creating indexes on the partition table "concurrently" keywords are not allowed.

That is no problem.
You create the index on ONLY the partitioned table,
then you create indexes CONCURRENTLY on the partitions,
then you attach these indexes as partitions to the index you created in the beginning.
As soon as the last index is attached, the index on the partitioned table becomes valid.

> 2)While creating foreign key ,  it does not allow a "not valid" clause if the table
>   is partitioned.

Create the foreign key on the partitions; the effect is the same.

> 3) While creating indexes on this table or running any ALTER command, the SELECT
>    queries running from other processes run longer. Does it take any lock while
>    doing DDL on the base table in postgres?

I am not sure what the "base table" is.  Most DDL always locks the table in
ACCESS EXCLUSIVE mode; that is not specific to partitioned tables.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe