Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to do faster DML

On Sat, 3 Feb 2024 at 19:29, Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Given the size of your table, you probably want to divide that up.
> As long as nothing is changing the original table, you could do:
>
> insert into mytable2 select * from mytable1 order by ctid limit 10_000_000 offset 0;
> insert into mytable2 select * from mytable1 order by ctid limit 10_000_000 offset 10_000_000;
> insert into mytable2 select * from mytable1 order by ctid limit 10_000_000 offset 20_000_000;

Is it me or does this have the faint smell of quadratic behaviour? I
mean, you need to read and discard the first 10M to do offset 10M (
also I believe ctid order is implied in sequential scan, but no so
sure, if not it would need a full table sort on each pass ).

When doing things like this, I normally have some kind of unique index
and do it by selecting with limit above the last read value( stored
when doing it via code, as I normally load first, index later so I
cannot select max() fast on the target ). Or, with some kind of
"sparse" index (meaning, groups much less than the batch size ) and a
little code you can select where index_col > last order by index_col
limit 10M, remember last received index_col and reselect discarding
missing ( or just reselect it when doing your on conflict do nothing,
which also has a fast select max(id) due to the PK, it will work if it
has an index on id column on the original even if not unique ) to
avoid that.

Also, I'm not sure if ctid is ordered and you can select where
ctid>last ordered, if that works it probably is faster for immutable
origins.

Francisco Olarte.