Search Postgresql Archives

Re: permission denied on socket

On 1/25/24 12:22, Atul Kumar wrote:
Hi,

I have postgres 13 running on centos 7.

I am facing an issue while trying to connect the cluster using the below command.

-bash-4.2$ psql postgres

psql: error: connection to server on socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432" failed: Permission denied

With the Postgres server running does:

/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432

exist?

Is the server running locally and accepting connections on that socket?

but when I am trying to connect using the below command I am able to login to the cluster successfully.

-bash-4.2$ psql postgres -h localhost

postgres=#

The above works because you are not connecting to local(the socket), but to localhost(127.0.0.1 or ::1).

I am not sure what is causing this issue and what needs to be done to resolve it ?

Best guess is you are using a version of psql that is expecting the socket to be somewhere else then where it actually is.

Regards.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx