Search Postgresql Archives

Initiate backup from routine?

Hello,

I would like to allow a co-worker to perform a backup of a database, such that the backup is saved to the database server itself. One use case is that (s)he would like an extra backup of a database, just before an application update is deployed. The co-worker doesn't have shell access on the DB server (so no sudo option), and we would like to allow this to happen without having to involve a DBA.

Is it possible to call pg_dump (or equivalent action) through a procedure/function?

--
Regards,
Troels Arvin