Search Postgresql Archives

Re: WAL file clean up

On Tue, Jan 16, 2024 at 10:03 PM Brad White <b55white@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have the 'archive_cleanup_command' command specified, but I still have WAL files.
The documentation seems to indicate that it will run automatically, but it doesn't seem to be running.

      archive_cleanup_command = 'pg_archivecleanup \\\\DISKSTATION\\AccessData\\Prod\\WALfiles %r'
                   # command to execute at every restartpoint

It seems it should run every time there is a restartpoint.
Restartpoints can happen at any checkpoint in the log.
My checkpoint time out is set to 5 minutes.

      checkpoint_timeout = 5min

  Restartpoints are more likely to happen when getting closer to the size limit.
      max_wal_size = 1GB

That seems pretty low.

My folder size is now 430 files = 6.8 GB. Not terrible, but should be enough to trigger a restartpoint.

How do I tell if I haven't had a restartpoint or I did and the command didn't work.

What methods are you using for replication and database backups?

Streaming replication using slots, and physical backups via, for example, PgBackRest handles all this for you automagically.