Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Mimic ALIAS in Postgresql?

On 1/16/24 15:39, Ron Johnson wrote:
On Tue, Jan 16, 2024 at 5:31 PM Rob Sargent <robjsargent@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 1/16/24 10:20, Ron Johnson wrote:
Some RDBMSs have CREATE ALIAS, which allows you to refer to a table by a different name (while also referring to it by the original name).

We have an application running on DB2/UDB which (for reasons wholly unknown to me, and probably also to the current developer) extensively uses this with two schemas: MTUSER and MTQRY.  For example, sometimes refer to MTUSER.sometable and other times refer to it as MYQRY.sometable.

My goal is to present a way to migrate from UDB to PG with as few application changes as possible.  Thus, the need to mimic aliases.

Maybe updatable views?
CREATE VIEW mtqry.sometable AS SELECT * FROM mtuser.sometable;

Isn't it time to get rid of that debt?  A sed -i 's/MTUSER/MTQRY/g' (or vice versa) ends what looks to me to be a split brain problem.  All the sql is in git right? :)

Or perhaps you have to beef the sed up to use word boundaries just in case.

I'm not a Java web developer... 😁

You need to adjust you glasses if that's what you see me as.